Accessibility View Close toolbar

Pet Poison

Toxic Foods & Plants for Cat & Dogs

Dog surrounded poisonous foodsMany people are aware of the health risks that may be caused if their pet eats chocolate, but there are actually several different toxic foods and plants around your home that may cause serious symptoms in your pet. Most of these toxic foods and plants can make pets sick and cause reactions, such as abdominal pain, liver damage, and lack of appetite, kidney damage, seizures and even death. Knowing what these things are can help save your pet’s life. Here are some of the most common foods and plants to be aware of.

Mushrooms

You may be aware that some mushrooms are toxic even to humans, but for cats and dogs mushroom may be deadly. Some may cause worse symptoms than others, so it’s best to prevent having any type of mushrooms in a location where your pet can get them, including in your yard.

Raisins and Grapes

These are the most common foods that people are unaware of being a problem for pets, but both raisins and grapes can be toxic for pets; just a handful can make them sick and cause serious health problems, such as kidney damage or liver damage. Raisins and grapes can also cause diarrhea and vomiting, which may lead to severe dehydration.

Onions & Garlic

Onions and garlic contain thiosulphates, which can cause red blood cells to burst in your  pet’s body,  possibly causing liver damage. Both onions and garlic can also cause them to be sick with vomiting and diarrhea as well as trouble breathing.

Household Plants

There are several plants that can cause serious health risks for your pet, ranging from upset stomach to seizures and possibly even death. Plants that you should be aware of include:

  • Poinsettia Plants
  • Jimson Weed
  • Lantana (a perennial plant that looks like petunias)
  • Lilies
  • Tulips
  • Azaleas
  • Sage palm
  • Oleander

It is important to never leave these foods out where your pet can get to them. If you suspect your pet has eaten a toxic food or plant, call your vet for immediate instructions, because there may be things you should do right away, such a making your pet throw up. Your veterinarian will give you instructions on what you should do based on what food or plant your pet has eaten, but you should be prepared to take them to the vet immediately.  

Contact Our Local Veterinarian to Learn More Today

To learn more information about foods and plants that may be toxic for pets or if you suspect your pet may have consumed dangerous foods, contact Hill Top Animal Hospital.

 

We Offer 10% off to Senior Citizens, Military, & Educators

Our Locations

Office Hours

Appointments Preferred, Walk-Ins Welcome & Drop Off Appointments

Main Office

Monday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Tuesday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Wednesday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Thursday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Friday:

8:00 am-6:00 pm

Saturday:

8:00 am-12:00 pm

Sunday:

Closed